Sunday, February 19, 2012

Take This, It Is The Best I Have




from the Gospel of John 12 : Mary took a pound of costly perfume ..anointed Jesus' feet and wiped them with her hair.
In 1983 I volunteered in the refugee assistance program at St. francis Presbyterian Church in Ft. Worth Texas. One day a client approached me. We are grateful for the beautiful things people have given us," he said, "But people always say,' Take this, I don't ned it anymore.' It feels like they are giving us throw away things. it makes us feel bad. In my country we would say, ' Take this, it is the best I have.' Even if it was something simple we would give it because we thought it was good." " I see what you mean, " I said,"but here it hurts peoples' pride if they need hand-outs. So we say, 'I don't need this anymore' to make it easier to accept." --Kathy Ogle
This story raises some questions in my mind. Why do we really give left overs, things we no longer want. I have happily donated food to the food pantry that had sat in my pantry unused for months or that was an unwanted gift to me. Next time perhaps I should make special shopping trip to buy the best food that I like for the pantry. It will be hard to give away the goodies, but then I can say, " Take this, it is the best that I have."
I have a friend who lives this example. Guests in her home sleep in the master bedroom on the bed with satin sheets, are fed the best food and given undivided attention. 
How can we learn to joyfully give the best that we have? 
When have you most joyfully given to someone in need?
What allows you to give joyfully?
Does the idea of reducing my things feel freeing or restrictive?
Who do I know who are living fulfilled lives with less?

All we have is from God. When we freely give we are just passing along what has been gifted to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment