Friday, February 17, 2012

Priceless Gifts

I design gifts, put my artwork on everything from t-shirts to mouse pads. Designing is fun and buying gifts can be joyful. However it can sometimes become a duty or an obligation. I spent $50 dollars on my niece Emily's Christmas gift, now I have to spent $50 dollars on her twin sister, Madylin. Because after all a five year old will know.

I have received many gifts with little or no monetary value, but that have meant more to me than a truckload of diamonds. An unexpected card from a friend in a mailbox full of bills, regular letters from my sister, hugs, a cheerful post on my facebook page and photographs and donations to my favorite charities. A yearly or biyearly visit with a good friend.

What stops me from an act of kindness today? Why don't my good intentions and
New Year's resolutions become realities more often. What does it say about priorities in a world of too much that makes these gestures of kindness so noteworthy? Why is someone surprised when I hold open a door for them?

I resolve (again) to do one unexpected act of kindness every day.

In a world of enough there is enough kindness, enough joy, enough hospitality and enough nurturing to go around. That is something that I can make happen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment